Golf Course Insurance Overview
Owning, operating, or investing in a golf course can be highly lucrative. In addition to being popular for golfers, golf courses offer several other amenities to non-golfers as well. The scenic views make these spaces ideal for community gatherings, and buildings can be rented out for weddings, events, and other celebrations. Golf courses often offer restaurant and bar services, making them a well-rounded venue for diverse activities.
Insuring golf courses can be complicated because of the wide range of functions this property can have. Golf courses need insurance for the property, including fencing that may surround the course and security features to protect it. There will need to be insurance for landscaping, which is highly important and often an iconic part of golfing in specific locations. A golf course will also need to have Workers Compensation Insurance for employees and make considerations for the equipment used while on the grounds.
Why Golf Course Insurance is Important
Golf Course Insurance is essential to have for all the reasons listed above and more. There are so many moving parts that come with running a golf course, and each one is integral to its function and popularity. An irrigation system breakage, vandalism, a shutdown of amenities like the restaurant, or any other incident that could disrupt business as usual can have a highly detrimental effect on the golf course. Having the right insurance coverage can make a big difference.
Golf Course Insurance Coverage
At its core, Golf Course Insurance is made up of a foundation of insurance coverages that include Commercial General liability insurance, Commercial Property Insurance, Commercial Automobile Insurance, and Workers Compensation Insurance.
- Commercial General Liability Insurance includes:
- Premises Liability Coverage. Premises liability coverage protects situations that occur on the property, such as injuries sustained by someone. This policy could help pay legal defense fees if you are sued or offer compensation for the damage.
- Products Liability Coverage. Product liability covers a golf course for products sold to the general public that may be defective or cause an injury, such as a golf club that wasn’t assembled correctly and caused damage when used.
- Completed Operations Coverage. If your golf course offers lessons, training, or other services to clients, they may sue your business after the service is provided. Completed operations coverage can be useful for covering injuries, damages, or legal defense fees.
- Commercial Property Insurance – Helps cover the physical parts of your golf course, like buildings and equipment. This coverage may also extend to fencing around your property and the landscaping (such as trees and shrubs) on the course. If a building sustains damage, a fence is vandalized, or trees come down during a storm, a Commercial Property Insurance Policy could help restore the course to business as usual.
- Commercial Auto Insurance – Covers vehicles used for business purposes. This could include catering vans, landscaping trucks, or other vehicles used to conduct business on behalf of the golf course. Commercial vehicles must have Bodily Injury Liability Coverage, Property Damage Liability, and Uninsured Motorist Coverage.
- Workers Compensation Insurance – Workers Compensation Insurance is required for businesses in Wisconsin with three or more full or part-time employees. These employees can include caddies, restaurant staff, gift shop employees, customer service assistants, groundskeepers, and many others for a golf course.
- Restaurant Coverage – After a long day on the links, a great restaurant experience keeps golfers coming back for more. Operating a restaurant day after day can be a challenge, and situations can arise that jeopardize even the most experienced restaurant managers’ functionality. Restaurant Coverage can help cover the cost of repairing or replacing broken equipment like freezers or ovens, offer Food Contamination Insurance Coverage, include Business Interruption Insurance, and more.
- Underground Property Insurance – Property Insurance can help protect a golf course’s landscaping, but what about the irrigation system? If your golf course uses an underground irrigation system, this may be a worthwhile policy to have to provide coverage for the repair or replacement of that system.
- Liquor liability – A restaurant on a golf course may serve alcohol, or there may be a dedicated bar area where liquor is sold. Liquor Liability helps protect a business that sells and serves alcohol.
- Employers Practice Liability Insurance: This coverage protects the golf course in the event of an employment-related lawsuit, such as wrongful termination or retaliation.
- Inland Marine: Protects the golf course’s products, merchandise, or equipment while it is in transit to the course for usage.
There are specific policies that could benefit a golf course, including Golf Cart Coverage, coverage for chemical applications used in groundskeeping, tee-to-green coverage, etc. Other related coverage can include:
- Commercial Umbrella Insurance: Provides additional liability protection if costs due to an accident reach past what your Business Liability Policy limits.
- Crime Insurance: Provides financial protection to golf course who may be at risk of theft or fraud.
- Business Income Insurance: Helps to cover the loss of income of the golf course due to a covered peril. Commonly covered hazards include fire, theft, wind, flood, and more depending on the insurance company you are with.
Areas We Serve
Cordova Insurance Agency is proud to be located in the heart of beautiful Merrill, Wisconsin. Our team is pleased to serve Merrill and the surrounding communities of Wausau, Tomahawk, Minocqua, Woodruff, and others.
Golf Course Insurance is more than just protecting the physical building and property that a course occupies- it’s about preserving the enjoyment people get from playing the game. To learn more about Golf Course Insurance, contact the Cordova Insurance Agency at (715) 536-9576. Our licensed agents will be happy to answer any questions you have.